It is always said by the health officials that honey should not be given to the infants as they are going to develop several diseases. There are recent cases reported in Texas where infants under one were given honey and now they are hospitalized as they have developed botulism. They were given honey pacifiers according to the Texas Department of State Health Services.
WHAT IS INFANT BOTULISM?
Botulism is the rare disease which can prove to be a fatal disease. Botulism can be foodborne. It happens when food is containing the toxin and it is eaten by the child. Bacteria develop in the intestines and then releases toxin there.
SYMPTOMS OF INFANT BOTULISM
Symptoms may include different things like
1. Breathing problems
3. Poor feeding
4. Dropping eyelids
5. loss of head control.
State health services told that from August to October, around four children came to the hospital suffering from infant botulism. It is said that all children were given honey pacifiers which were purchased in Mexico.
If the proper treatment is not given then untreated patients can lead to death.
Though the honey pacifiers linked to the cases in Texas were purchased in Mexico, similar pacifiers are available in the United States, but they are not common, according to DSHS.
The Food & Drug Administration said in a tweet that it was working to identify retailers selling the pacifiers in the United States to ask them to discontinue sales.
It is strictly adviced that children under one year should not be given any form of honey as it can lead to serious consequences. Honey may contain Clostridium Botulinum which can produce botulism neurotoxins and can make children sick.
Parents who have any honey pacifiers are urged to throw them away immediately. In addition to honey, pacifiers containing any other food substance can also pose a botulism risk, and parents should avoid them, DSHS added.Tags: Honey pacifiers, Infant botulism, Texas